New Media Journal

Hello my beloved blog viewers,

Last week in our COMM 373 Social Media students were asked to keep a log of their media usage for a week to observe what our personal media consumption general looks like. I was very interested to find out what my media patterns would look like over the course of the week, so I decided to physically journal out each time I used my phone or laptop while providing a brief description of the purpose and the duration of the usage taking place. The results of this quick self evaluation was quite eye opening.


 I found the ogging to be much less tedious than I originally anticipated. I usually make a conscious effort not to be on my phone too often. Especially when I first wake up and when I am with other people. I don't like checking messages too early in the morning because I feel as if it will affect my initial productivity for the day. Luckily having swim practice every morning helps keep me from putting any attention to my social media accounts when I wake up in the morning. However, through the logging of what media I did use frequently, I discovered how often I'm listening to music throughout the day and that most of that tends to take place while im driving to/from swim practice or campus. 

I feel like music helps me feel emotions throughout the day that I sometimes can't be bothered to feel because I have work to do or swim practice to attend. I also realized that swimming gas significantly helped to impede how frequently I check social medias such as instagram and youtube. I am honestly very grateful for the hours of the day to which I don't stress about messages or check every notification that comes on my phone because my full attention is being focused on my swimming. This assignment has also helped me realize how often I tend use snapchat to message people rather than call or text them. Even though I don't spend much time browsing the content on the explore page on snapchat, I did realize most the time I spent on snap was responding to streaks. Some of which I questioned why I was maintaining such a commitment to keeping when some of the people I snap never say a word to me, nor me to them. It seemed to just be a habitual cycle that I have settled myself into, and it is making me rethink some of value I put in snapchat... 🤔 


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

First Blog Post! :)

Blog #11: SPARCC Summary

Impression Management Blog Post